Every year, around hundred of school children in India die due to poor bus safety measures adopted by schools. Taking cognizance of this, Supreme court in year 2012 had ordered schools and state government education authorities to enforce certain school bus safety guidelines. Below are the school bus safety guidelines for children that each school is bound to follow:
- ‘School Bus’ shall be written on the back and front of the Bus.
- If it is a hired bus, ‘On School Duty’ should be clearly indicated
- Bus must always have a fully equipped First-Aid-Box.
- The windows of Bus must be fitted with horizontal grills at small gaps.
- There must be a Fire Extinguisher in working condition in the Bus.
- School Name and Telephone No. must be written on the Bus.
- The doors of the Bus shall be fitted with reliable locks.
- To keep School Bags safely, there should be a space fitted under the seats.
- There should be an escort from the school in the bus, preferably a teacher to ensure safety norms.
- There must be an Attendant from the School in the Bus.
- Any parent/guardian or a teacher may also travel to ensure these safety norms.
- No bus belonging to an educational institution should carry children in excess of its permitted seating capacity.
- Every driver of a School / College bus must have a minimum of 10 years of experience of driving heavy vehicles, and must not have any previous record of traffic offences.
- The driver shall return the child to the school if no one comes to collect him/her upon returning at home, under the responsibility of the parents.
Parents must ensure that the schools follow the above safety measures religiously.
- Gurugram Police – Traffic regulations
- Vellore Tranport Office
Last Updated on February 23, 2017 by Go4Reviews