RTI filing is a crucial tool in exercising your rights for information related to things that impact you. This holds even more significance in the otherwise unregulated real estate sector.
We bring to you a step by step guide to filing RTI specifically for real estate sector.
Steps to file
Following are the steps:
1) Buy Postal order (PO) from post office of requisite amount. Generally, the fees is 10 rupees.
2) In. PO, mention pay to as ‘<Concerned Authority>’ and Payable at as ‘<City where authority exists>’.
3) Write RTI Application. Many authorities publish their own RTI forms but the format is just a suggestion not a mandate. You can very well write a handwritten application.
For a reference, we share below the Noida authority form details. You may also file RTI for other authorities in same format for a well defined structure.
Fill the RTI form available at
http://www.noidaauthorityonline.com/rti-forms.html (you may have to
expand some boxes before printing the form).
4) Provide the details we need to seek under Point 1 (i) of form:
“Request to provide the following information for the group housing project named xxx in sector xxx <city> built by xxx.:
i) Please share certified copy of …
ii) Please share approved tower layout plan for Tower x…”
It’s better to put information in as much detail as possible. e.g. you may ask for no. of flats and floors in Tower X instead of tower layout plan if it suffices.
Also, in some cases, details in local language may help.
5) Provide other details in the RTI form:
e.g. For Noida authority form,
ii) Specify gist of above required info and documents under type of information required
iii) Specify period for which information is required. E.g. From and To date.
Please share all personal details but do not share mobile number to
have all communications in documented mode.
Tick relevant boxes. e.g. copy of document and other information
Point 5: Add Details of PO
Point 6: Specify- By post (suggested mode as everything is documented)
6) Along with PO, send the filled in form/written application by Registered post (not by courier or any other medium) to the PIO concerned (you may also visit the concerned authority in person but keeping things documented is always suggested).
e.g. For Noida authority, post to below address:
The Public Information Officer/The Asstt. Public Information Officer,
New Okhla Industrial Development Authority (NOIDA),
Sector-6, Noida – 201301
7) Keep a copy of receipt with you.
Finally, ensure you ask only relevant info from the authority. E.g. Fire, Environment clearance related information shall be sought by Fire, Environment ministry instead of Authority.
Please also note that the RTI can be filed by anyone on your behalf. A person filing need not necessarily have a property in the project concerned.
Last updated: November 23, 2014 at 11:38 am